Saturday, December 16, 2006

"Ode to Inconsistancey..."




The journey to completing a half-marathon starts with a single step...this is mine. Throughout 2006 I've strived to achieve a fitness level which would allow me to complete the 2006 Philadelphia Distance Run-1/2 Marathon..Well, this past November, the 13.1 mile 1/2 marathon went on without me. I do NOT want to feel that way again in 2007...

A favorite quote of mine is "It's never too late to be who you might have been..." Think about it...inside each of us is a destiny to become. The cemeteries are full of great men and women, who never became great...They never tapped into their God given purpose and destiny.
Life is a journey, not a destination...
To me, running is a metaphor for life. I will further explain in future posts. Basically, we're all running towards something. For me, fitness-wise, a goal of mine since the early 1990's has been to run a marathon...only 1% of the population can say "I've run a marathon". This has always seemed to be an incomprehensible goal. However, I was recently recommended to read, Dean Karnazes book, "Ultra Marathon Man...Confessions of a All-Night Runner". One of his many accomplishments is in 2004 he ran 262 miles STRAIGHT...the equivalent of 10 marathons!!!
Suddenly, 26.2 miles didn't seem that far...My goal for this year is to complete a 1/2 marathon. Once that's accomplished, I'll see about the full marathon. Running a Marathon would be an AWESOME accomplishment before my 40th year...only 2 years away.
So, here I am...blogging to myself and anyone else who cares to follow, to keep me accountable as I embark on this journey. There will be ups, and downs, I know...but I want to be able to say before I'm 40..."I'm 1 of the 1%"!
My goal for the remainder of December is to simply begin being consistent in running 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week. My current long-run is 3 miles, as of this morning. Eventually, the long run will build and build, until my weekly mileage is at 25 miles per week (mpw). Nutrition is a big part of it as well. They say, "A six-pack is built in the kitchen". Below is my plan for the coming year:

Nutrition: Six days, strict with 1 "cheat" meal per week. Drink at least 1.5 gallons of water a day.
Meal 1- Breakfast (8am)1 multi-vitamin, Oatmeal (1 cup), 2 packets Splenda, dash of Cinnamon, 1 cup fat free Milk5 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 4oz chicken breast
Meal 2- (10:30 am) Shake- 2 scoops Optimum Nutrition powder, Water1 small green apple
Meal 3- Lunch-(12:30 pm)1 chicken breast (or can of tuna) 1 cup brown rice1 cup green veggie
Meal 4- (3:00 pm)Shake- 2 scoop Optimum Nutrition powder, Water1 small green apple or can of water packed tuna (drained), 2 cups salad, balsamic vinegar
Meal 5- Dinner- (6:00pm) chicken breast,1 cup brown rice,1 cup green veggie
Meal 6- (8:00pm)1 cup lowfat cottage cheese w/ 1 TBSP Natty Peanut Butter

Well, here we go! Thanks for reading so far...!
Strap your seat-belt on...we're goin' for a ride!

Until next time...
Dave

No comments: