Saturday, December 30, 2006

"Should overweightness be forgot..."

Welp...this is it. It's a new year, full of promise and hope. Resolutions to be met, challenges to face. Out with the old...in with the new!

Today, I go into training! I ran 3 slow, uneventful miles, plodding through the rain. I set off with a goal...just do it! Don't worry about previous paces or how fast I was running...just do it. As I passed the 2 mile mark, I began imagining I had just crossed the 12 mile mark on the Philadelphia Distance Run, the 1/2 Marathon I plan on running in the Fall. Somehow, the exercise of pretending I had already ran 12 miles helped soothe my ego to the fact that I had only run 2 miles, but hey...whatever works!

This morning when I stepped on the scale, the reality of the journey hit me. The scale read 239lbs...As I looked at the numbers, got off the scale, and back on hoping it was an error...there it was... 239lbs. It was mocking me...


"You'll never get to your goal! Look at me!!!! YOU WEIGH 239LBS!!!" I took a deep sigh, and with resolve whispered... "It's on!!!"

My plan is written out. My goals are stated. It's on! 2007 will be the year I acheive my fitness goal of 175lbs, and run a 1/2 Marathon. At the end of this year I will be stronger, I will be prouder, and I will be transformed! I will not enter 2008 ashamed. I will meet, and even perhaps exceed my goals!

On Friday night, I saw the movie Rocky Balboa. Wow! This movie really spoke to me. I love all the Rocky movies, but for me, where I am right now...it was right on time. Rocky said something that has been ringing in my ears since I heard it. As he was explaining to his son his dream of getting back into the ring again, he said...(paraphrased) "It's not that you can get in there and take a beating, but that you can get up after the beating, after taking everything thrown at you, you get back up and fight...that's what counts!"

The day after Thanksgiving this year, I ran up the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum, to gauge my level of fitness. Let's just say, I'm looking forward to the next time I run up those steps, I won't be fearful of puking on my shoes...

So, I've taken a beating. Past failures do not dictate future victory! I'm getting up. I'm in training. Fighters fight...and I will fight any obstacle that stands in my was for my goals stated for 2007. I will fight even if it's with myself, my will, I will finish!


"I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself." (1 Cor 9:27 )

Until next time...
Dave


1 comment:

W Sofield said...

I still haven't seen Rocky Balboa yet, but I will. Looking forward to it.