Saturday, January 13, 2007

Laying the foundation...


Well...here we are again at the completion of week 2. I'm down to 234.5lbs as of this morning. Today I ran 4mi...my longest distance in a while...felt great! As I was running this morning, I was thinking about the foundation I was laying. Any distance runner will tell you that in order to run any mid to long distance, you must have what's called a "base". A base is simply your mileage build-up over time. For instance, many experts agree that you should not attempt to build up mileage to train for a marathon until you have a base of 25 miles per week (mpw).
Today, I ran 4.01 miles, for a total of 13.1 miles this week. It took me a week of training to run the entire distance I wile run in one day at the 1/2 marathon in the fall. If I were to attempt the 13.1 miles at one time now...I shudder to think what the outcome would be. So, I'm building a base, or a foundation. Without a good foundation, nothing can be placed on top of it.
Foundations are important. You wouldn't build a house (to last any length of time) without a foundation...again, a correlation between running and the words of Jesus Christ:
"But he who merely hears and does not practice doing My words is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation, against which the torrent burst, and immediately it collapsed and fell, and the breaking and ruin of that house was great. " Luke 6:49 AMP

So, I'm building a foundation...mile upon mile, day after day...

I am happy with my progress so far 2 weeks into my program. This week, I stayed on better track with my diet, drank more water, and did not miss a run! So far this year, I've run 25 miles, and lost 4.5lbs! I'm on track and ready to kick it up a notch. Next week, I plan on incorperating weight training into the program (as outlined below). My training program for the next 2 weeks:

Mon: Run

Tues: Chest/Biceps

Weds: Run

Thurs:Back/Triceps

Fri: Run

Sat am Run, evening Legs/Shoulders

Sun: Rest

Until next time...

Dave



No comments: