Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Goliath" is DEAD...!

This has been a milestone week. Haven't posted here since my 25 mile week. After that, got a nasty case of knee pain. Come to find it was Chrondomalacia. Backed off the mileage a bit. Got a knee strap and feeling fine!


This Sat was gorgeous! A cool Autumn day. I had a 3 mile scheduled, but as I head out, I had the feeling this would not be an average 3 miler. THIS...THIS could be the day...!


My Garmin 201 died on me...couldn't turn it on, charge in nothin' After some research, come to find that I had gotten more use out of it than others had...3+ years. I didn't think that was alot, but hey...



Did some additional research and found the Garmin 305...nice! It is the latest model and much smaller and nicer the the 201. Also comes with a heart rate monitor... see pic below:

I found a deal online to purchase it for $138 (retails for $323) and told my awesome wife about it. She said, "it'll be an early Birthday gift...get it"

What?! did I hear..huh...???

So what did I do? I ordered it before she could change her mind. Ordered it on a

Friday...received it via UPS on that Tues...whoa!!! this thing is great! I highly recommend it!

Back to the story...

Saturday was beautiful...I had my new toy, er a...tool strapped to my wrist and headed out on a new route. At mile 3, I was feeling great...thought I'll just go out 4 and come back. "After all, 8 miles is my longest run, don't push it!" One thing I've learned this year is to listen to my body...to run, not to run...when to stop eating, what to eat...etc...

So, mile 4 came and went. At mile 5, I realized..."if I run all the way back, it'll be 10 miles!!!"

But, who was I kidding...

After all, I needed to take it easy. I was nursing an injury. I could maybe do 8.5 or 9 and walk the rest home as a cool down...don't push it!

As you can see from past posts, when I started this journey, I weighed almost 250lbs, and could barely run 1.5-2miles without stopping for fear of puking up my spleen...3 miles was my long run for a loooong time, than 4 miles, then the 10k distance came and went, then 8 miles...then...then...then 10? (gulp)

Well...

I did it! I ran 5 miles out, and 5 back...I RAN 10 MILES!! I felt tired, but great! My legs were sore, but I was fine. I took a shower, had something to eat, took a little nap, and I was fine. The icing on the cake was that I weighed 219lbs Sat morning...I finally broke the 200's!

So, "Goliath is dead! My sights are on 13.1 miles, then 26.2...then who knows!

...all I know is I have a few more stones in my pocket!

After all, my name is David!

Until next time...

Dave



2 comments:

Rick Velich said...

Awesome blog, my brother! You keep at it and... I CAN'T WAIT to hear your report on your success at the Phillie HM! God be with you in your preparation my friend! Your brother in Christ...
Rick

Rick Velich said...

Sorry to be a posting-pest, but I just noted the comment about the knee pain. Another thing to be mindful of is the miles on your shoes. I got the same type knee pain on a couple of past occassions and both occurred about the time I had around 300 miles on my shoes. I bought new shoes and the pain went away. Just something else to consider. I know I am always anxious about keeping healthy so I can keep at it.